The vast majority of homeowners have shingle roofs. Shingle roofs are usually made of a combination of materials: asphalt, fiberglass, sealant, and granules. Since the materials are cheap, a shingled roof is usually the best economical option for homeowners as a shingle roof does the job and lasts between 12 and 15 years.
However, a metal roof is superior to a shingle roof due to the nature of the material. The advantages to metal roofs are numerous:
- Metal roofs are durable, able to handle wind gust of up to 140 miles per hour. Metal roofs resist impacts, won’t crack or corrode, and are low maintenance.
- Energy efficient. Metal roofs reduce cooling costs up to 25 percent during the hot summer months because they can reflect twice as much of the sun’s heat. In the winter months, the air beneath a metal roof stays warmer, saving on energy costs as well.
- Environmentally friendly. Metal roofs use 25 percent or more recycled content and are 100 percent recyclable at the end of their life.
- Longevity. Metal roofs can last between 40 and 70 years, compared with 12-20 years for asphalt roofing materials.
- Safety. Metal roofs won’t ignite in a wildfire or lightning strike.
Metal roofs all around are the better product. So why don’t we see more metal roofs in our neighborhood? The answer is price. Metal roofs are expensive. According to the Roofing Calculator website, metal roofs cost between $5.50 to $12 a square foot;whereas, asphalt shingle roofs are quite a bit less expensive at 80 cents to $1 per square foot.
WHY YOU STILL NEED A METAL ROOF
Despite the up-front costs of a metal roof, a metal roof is the better value in the long run. Here are the reasons why:
- You’ll save money. Without having to replace your roof every dozen years or so, a metal roof will pay for itself in the long term. Furthermore, if a hail storm or wind storm does hit, odds are, you won’t have to pay for a roof repair or replacement. Yes, insurance covers the cost of a roof due to hail damage or other weather-related damage, but you still have to pay your deductible.
- You won’t have to worry about your metal roof. You’ll never have to replace your metal roof during your lifetime, baring some significant weather-related incident. Upkeep is very minimal, usually limited to the riddance of leaves in the fall.
- You want the best protection for your family. Almost everything inside your home is priceless, including your family. From the dogs and cats to the kids and drawings on the fridge, you don’t want to lose any of it. Most metal roofing is Class A fire-rated and noncombustible, making it highly unlikely it’ll catch on fire. Many metal roofing materials are given a Class 4 UL 2218 rating, which means your metal roof is highly resistant to hail damage at least up to 2-inch diameter.
- Preserves your home. Since metal roofing weighs less than traditional asphalt shingle roofing or concrete tiles, less stress is put on your home’s structure over time. Metal roofs, due to their incredible durability and strength, increase the value of your home as well.
Master Shake Roofing System makes the best steel roofs in the business. Our proprietary roofing system will take good care of your family for years to come, while adding value to your home and complementing the look of your home. Contact us today for a free estimate!