Do you know how old your roof is? When was the last time you had your roof inspected? When was the last time you thought about your roof? For something that is so integral to our well-being, roofs should be thought about more. Master Shake, a maker of proprietary metal roofing shingles, reviews the top signs you may need a new roof.
SIGNS YOU NEED A NEW ROOF
- If you do know the age of your roof and it’s over 20 years old, you need to have it inspected right away. Depending on what type of roofing material is on your roof, it may be overdue for replacing. Slate, copper, metal, and tile roofs can last more than 50 years. Homeowners with wood roofs should expect them to last about 30 years, while fiber cement shingles last about 25 years. Asphalt shingles or roofing made from composition materials last about 20 years. Keep in mind these are the average lifespan of these types of roofs. Weather, such as hail, snow, and severe wind and rain and environmental factors such as pollution can all reduce the lifespan of your roof considerably.
- Your shingles are buckled. Buckling happens to asphalt shingles due to a variety of reasons but primarily due to moisture that gets trapped in your roofing system. Signs of buckling is when your shingles are not laying flat or are curled.
- Cracked shingles. Cracked shingles happen from weather over time. This is a sign your roof is aging — and quickly. Definitely call a roofing inspector if you notice any cracked shingles.
- Shingles in your yard. If you notice shingles coming off your roof, call a roofing inspector. This is a sign of wear and age as well.
- You notice green on your roof. Anything green is usually a sign of plant life. Plant life, particularly moss, wreaks havoc on your roofing system. A moss buildup on the roof traps debris; trapped debris causes water buildup; water buildup causes a roof to rot and eventually leak. A leaking roof causes internal damage to your house. A professional roofer can remove your moss for you.
- An increase in shingle granules. Wear and tear on your roof — particularly a shingles or composite roof — shows up in granules flaking off. You will notice these in your gutters or your yard after a storm. Dark spots or mismatched coloring on your roof is another sign of granule wear.
Master Shake Roofing Systems makes the best metal roofs. Metal roofs are far superior to other roofing materials due to its strength, durability, environmental-friendliness, and aesthetics. Metal roofs protect against the elements, is lightweight, inhibitive to plant life and fire, and low maintenance. We offer metal roof installation and inspections. Master Shake offers a 50 year guarantee on all of its metal roofs installed, and because your metal roof lasts so long, you won’t need another roof. If your roof is showing any signs listed above, contact us today for your free new roofing estimate!